Chickens in the Basement

I love to write and I love to laugh. When I write, I get to the point quick. My stories would fit on the back of a postcard. They usually make me chuckle. And you know what they say, "It's all about me!"

Friday, January 30, 2009

One Era Ends, Another Begins

Today was my last official work day at SuzAnna's Antiques. I was surprised by the folks who came by to say good-bye. Oddly enough, many also asked would I continue to write. Yes! My hope is that I will find time to do more writing, although, without the newsletters, I am in search of subject matter.

I could write pages about chickens. My Skippy Chick has moved out of the house and into the garage. He spends days playing beside the other chickens, but not really joining in. It is like watching a 3 year old play beside his older brother's group of friends. Just being near the others is enough for now. When I got home from work this afternoon, Skippy had put himself in the garage for the evening. Yea, Skippy! This was a huge improvement for him. Two days ago, we had one of those hard and fast rain storms. When it kicked in, I looked out the window to see Skippy pacing back and forth under the bird feeder. By the time I found an umbrella and got out there to rescue him, he was standing still with his eyes closed. I think I detect a bit of ostrich in my Skippy! Inside and dry, I have faith that he will do better during the next storm.

I could fill a page with questions about getting wayward children to do homework! How does the computer create such obsession in a 12 year old? Why avoid homework? How do you study for a test on bones? What in the hell is an exponent? When will he ever use it in his REAL life? Why can't you just do it because the teacher said so? What do I have to do to get him to write down his assignments and do them without me standing over his shoulder and cheering him on? How much longer until graduation?

I can tell funny stories about the folks I meet throughout the day. For those of you who haven't met me, there is something about me that inspires folks to confess things to me. Today, I was standing in line at the local Goodwill when the woman in front of me told me about her arthritis acting up in her hip and knee. She then chastised the woman with the crying baby. According to her, the baby wasn't crying but just screaming for attention. This was a mild encounter. I do love meeting new people and am often amazed at how open folks will be.

I keep hoping I will be inspired by a subject or 12 and will be able to create a book from it. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

You can still do the newsletter!! hehehe! I have no problem with that!!

Becca said...

I'll miss seeing you at the store. Take care.