Chickens in the Basement

I love to write and I love to laugh. When I write, I get to the point quick. My stories would fit on the back of a postcard. They usually make me chuckle. And you know what they say, "It's all about me!"

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Saturday Morning Fun

On Saturday mornings, many families clean the house or cook a big breakfast or head off to watch the kids play soccer. Not me! Saturday mornings are made for yard saling! The earlier you get up, the more places you can shop. And, there are more goodies to choose from.

Every Friday night, I search the garage sale ads on the News and Observer and craigslist websites to see where the best sales are. If the main focus is children’s stuff, I give it a miss. Neighborhood sales are usually good, as are church sales. But the best are the estate sales. Their circumstances are usually sad, a death in the family or a move to a nursing home, but the loot haul can be fabulous.

Last weekend, I found an estate sale to reduce leftovers from a vintage/retro clothing and stuff store in Durham. This was right up my alley! It didn’t start until 9:00, so I arranged my route so that I could hit earlier sales in Wake Forest and Creedmoor before. With very little luck at those sales, I headed on to Durham with low expectations.

I arrived in Durham early and the folks were still unloading some of their items into the front yard. Beds, sinks, lawn furniture,

retro chairs and coffee table, one of the first McDonald’s umbrellas and boxes and boxes of toys littered the front yard.



There were two other women waiting out front. One was looking for a table for her craft room. The other, like me, just wanted to rummage. While chatting, I looked at a tree at the back of the house. Something purple and large was in it. I asked one of the girls, “Is that what I think it is?” She looked at the object perplexed. “I think it looks like a giant purple penis!” Hmmm! This is going to be interesting!


At 9:00, the front door was opened and we were invited in. Shopping mecca! Will you take a check? Can I make a pile? Do you have more stuff to go through? Will there be another sale? Yes! Yes! Yes! And, YES!! But what is that smoky smell?

Never mind! Is that a fish tank filled with buttons I see?






And that box of old black and white photos!



What a funky chandelier! And that box is filled with glass door knobs!



Art deco girl decals!



A can filled with plastic kids' rings!





A fun clover sewing kit filled with more...


BUTTONS!





As I was checking out, I asked if there would be another sale next weekend. I was thrilled to learn there was more to come. I promised to return and bring friends!




On the way home, I had a serious case of dry mouth and munchies to beat the band! Could it have anything to do with that sweet smoky smell? A diet coke and package of raspberry and coconut twinkies will cure that!


FYI...it wasn't a purple penis tree. Instead, it is a purple manequin tree! It's all in the point of view and angle you are looking.



3 comments:

Jenny said...

ACCCKK!!! I want the decals and were there any crystal knobs? Mary S needs them!! Jenny

Chickens in the Basement said...

They aren't knobs for furniture, but door knobs. Glass, yes! Crystal, I don't know!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

What fun! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! So nice to meet you!