Chickens in the Basement

I love to write and I love to laugh. When I write, I get to the point quick. My stories would fit on the back of a postcard. They usually make me chuckle. And you know what they say, "It's all about me!"

Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Eighth Day of Christmas

On the eighth day of Christmas my angel collection demanded an appearance on my blog. Who knew they could be such pushy broads!

I didn't mean to have a collection of angels. It just sort of happened. It started about 15 years ago when I found this girl at a craft sale in Rocky Mount, NC. Okay, she isn't officially an angel, but her praying hands and spiritual nature screams angelic to me! I love her! She was meant to go into a garden, but I was afraid the elements might damage her. She is a one of a kind!





These girls came along over the last couple of years. Their bright colors, simple beauty and inclusion of the nativity attracted me to these.






The quilted angel reflects my love of sewing. The corn husk angel was brought to me by the aforementioned Aunt Mollie. She is perfect on my front porch overlooking my ferns, pumpkins, and Christmas greenery. She didn't even know I had a collection of angels. How's that for divination? The third angel, well, I can't remember where she came from but she plays nicely with the other girls!



When I saw this angel, she spoke to me. She said, "Take me home! I'm so versatile! I will look great with your angel collection and your bird collection!" I was very obedient.
Nancy Busch consigned this piece of art at SuzAnna's Antiques. She never made it to a shelf in the shop! She is made from a wire base and covered with papier mache. She is gorgeous, and she is my second one of a kind angel!





While many folks associate angels with Christmas, my girls stay on my table all year long. They make me smile. They inspire prayer. They represent my various personalities and obsessions.
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing!
Glory to the New Born King!

4 comments:

Vintage Christine said...

Those are great--is your quilted angel a Jim Shore? I LOVE the papier mache angel, too. My sister-in-law collects angels and it's so easy to buy presents for her! Angels are displayable 24/7/365 as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for sharing your treasures.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Love your collection and no one can have enough angels around them.
These are one of a kind and I like them very much
Thanks for sharing
Maggie

Chicken Boys said...

Peace on earth and mercy mild!
God and sinner reconciled!
~Randy

Janean said...

glad you displayed them - ya don't mess with angels, see.

i'm more than amused that you actually have a chicken living in your home. it's..uh...well...house broken, right??? *skeptical look* i ask because you said you don't embarrass easily.