Chickens in the Basement

I love to write and I love to laugh. When I write, I get to the point quick. My stories would fit on the back of a postcard. They usually make me chuckle. And you know what they say, "It's all about me!"

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Second Day of Christmas

On the second day of Christmas, my Mother gave to me two embroidered Christmas canvases.






My mother made these about 30 years ago. The two canvases were such a perfect pair, she whipped them together with this pretty, feathery, pine and berry stitch. The artwork came out of the attic every Christmas and was hung over the television with a spotlight on it. Brother Dave always said he wanted to inherit it. Since it was the only thing he ever said he wanted, I didn't argue, but wanted the beautiful piece to come to my house, too.







Brother Dave and I both celebrate our birthdays in August. When he turned 40, he had a pig picking in his back yard. Mom showed up bearing two large presents. "Choose one," she said. Once each of us had a package in front of us, we ripped into them. Each of us had our own Season's Greeting and wreath. She had located the old kits on e-bay and kept the project hidden from us for several months. And, one of Granny's Christmas pins was centered in the middle of each bow.




I love this so much, I leave it on an easel in my dining room all year long.


In the words of my Mother's beautiful needlework...





4 comments:

Jenny said...

What a great present!!!

Lori Lynn said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! I don't think I'd have the patience for stitching something that involved.I'd rather find one in a Thrift Store, LOL, but then it wouldn't mean as much :-(
*´¨)
¸.*´¸.**´¨) ¸.**´¨)
(¸.*´ (¸.*´* LLYN M *

Chicken Boys said...

That's cool. It's nice to hear the words Pig Picking. I didn't hear that much when I was living down in Texas. They have barbecues with beef ribs and brisket. I had some friends who were from Virginia, though, and spoke of Carolina BBQ. I also met a man from Kinston who had a pig picking down there once. I love me a good pig pickin' though. Happy Holidays to you and the boys.

red.neck chic said...

Oh my GOSH!!! THAT IS GORGEOUS!!!!!! And - the story behind it is just as gorgeous!!!!!

You have to tell me though (being from Texas and all...) what the heck is a Pig Picking? I know it SOUNDS like fun - especially when you get some fantastic needlework! LOL

;-) Robelyn