Chickens in the Basement

I love to write and I love to laugh. When I write, I get to the point quick. My stories would fit on the back of a postcard. They usually make me chuckle. And you know what they say, "It's all about me!"

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The First Day of Christmas

On the first day of Christmas I gave this sign to me...



Yes, I know I'm mixing Christmas songs and stories!



I bought this sign last year from a fellow junker who was cleaning out her attic. Once I hung it on the front porch, I never got around to taking it down again. I guess that makes me a redneck! I did have plans to make signs to hang over the word Christmas, like summertime, 4th of July, Easter, Halloween, etc., and hang them for the appropriate season. The plan remains, the signs are on the list to be done.


Welcome to our house!

Earlier this year, I found this fabulous glass front door at Habitat Resale Center. It was black. I stripped it to raw wood, then primed and painted it red. I liked it so much, I painted much of the furniture on my front porch red, too. It looks Christmas festive all year long.





The greenery in the old bucket was gathered to put in place of the pumpkin that has been strategically placed out of sight.






Since 2009 isn't a good year for berries (all you see here are all that were in my yard!), I rounded up a can of red spray paint, and, without cutting them from the bush, painted two dozen dried hydrangea blooms. Once they dried, I used them to fill in and give color to the arrangement.


My goal is to come up with 12 posts for Christmas about the Christmas decorations that mean so much to me. Surely I can get this done before the 25th of December. Hope you enjoy them!

We wish you a Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

I have been planning on having a red front door too, when I can get around to painting it lol... Yours is wonderful.

Lovely, love the berries. Your home is so charming!

Vintage Christine said...

My god, woman, you are awesomely creative! And excuuuuuse me, but leaving your Xmas lights up all year makes you a redneck, not leaving a sign up that merely mentions Xmas. If it were a real redneck sign, it would say this: "It were th' naht bahfur Chrismus and everwhar in th' doublewahd . . ." I know what I'm talking about here, I live in Mississippi, remember. My gosh, I love your blog!!!

LemonyRenee' said...

That is the COOLEST sign ever! And I love that it was up all year . . . your idea for changing the occasion is brilliant.

If you lived in my neighborhood, I'd show up on your porch, one day, with a plate of Christmas cookies so I could make friends with such a cool lady!

And, knowing me, I'd get around to it just about Easter time . . . so we'd get along great!

Chicken Boys said...

I like the idea about the hydrangeas. I don't like them as bushes, but the flowers, I'm sure, look nice that way. Blueberries did great here in NC. Farmer, my neighbor, (we call him Farmer) had tons of blueberries, but the birds were really enjoying them.

Anne Lorys said...

Your front entrance looks just divine! I'll bet the inside is even purtier!
Anne