Chickens in the Basement

I love to write and I love to laugh. When I write, I get to the point quick. My stories would fit on the back of a postcard. They usually make me chuckle. And you know what they say, "It's all about me!"

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Chicken Funnies

This morning, I went to the hen house to let Skippy and the girls out. Cora always holds back. I usually take her some special treats from the kitchen. This morning, it was stale Cherrio's...Honey Nut to be exact.




I grabbed a handfull from the bag and held it out to her. She immediately started gobbling them up. A few hit the ground in her haste to eat them all before the others realized she had treats. All of a sudden, she looked up at me with her eyes crossed! A Cherrio had gone over the top of her beak and stuck there...sort of like a ring on a finger. She couldn't swallow it and couldn't push it off. I should have run for my camera, but didn't have the heart to leave the poor girl crossed and confused. I plucked the Cherrio from her beak. To teach it a lesson it won't soon forget, she ate it!




I do love my Cora Bell!




FYI...No signs of Hazel, so far. We hear him calling, but he hasn't been enticed to cross the road!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who would think that chickens could be so amusing? We get our jollies any way we can! Good luck on the job hunt. YUCK! I can't bring myself to even look anymore. I like being a "domestic engineer."

Anonymous said...

How funny! Poor Cora. My chickens all escaped this morning and when I looked out they had trashed my recovering lawn and were busy spreading the compost heap all over the garden. Rounding them up was easy though, I just came out rustling the bread bag and they came running, a few chunks of bread thrown over the fence and they soon followed!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Oh I love Cora Bell!!!! So funny. Hazel is such a guy...crossed the road and won't come back~

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Cheerio beak ha ha ha how cute!

Vintage Christine said...

Oh, just the mental image of the chicken with the Cheerio on her beak and cross-eyed made me laugh even without a photo! Guess Hazel just don't need to get to the other side, huh? Think he's got a little chickie sweetie over there?

Foothills Poultry said...

I think everyone that keeps birds has their most special one.

~~Matt~~

Yarni Gras! said...

coral bell is so beautiful! love the story!