Chickens in the Basement

I love to write and I love to laugh. When I write, I get to the point quick. My stories would fit on the back of a postcard. They usually make me chuckle. And you know what they say, "It's all about me!"

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Chickens, Veggies and Messy Missy



Hazel, my hen that turned out to be a rooster, has been sleeping in a cat cage at the end of the garage for the last week. For months, he has been waking up at 4:00 am and, without stopping for a breath, cock-a-doodle-dooing for an hour or more. I can't hear him, but Tony can. It took me forever to figure out I could just relocate him somewhere further from our bedroom.




Today, Hazel the Rooster was adopted by my neighbor Mary. She lives across the street. He has a very distinct yodel to his noise, so we could hear him calling to the other roosters in the neighborhood. Tony and I have been trying to figure out if he is smart enough to come back home. It gives a new twist to "why did the chicken cross the road?" Will he be running to the familiar or from the unfamiliar? Will he cross the road at all? Stay tuned for updates on Hazel's travels!

A couple of months ago, my mom gave me a box with photos from my childhood. This one cracked me up. I can't remember if this was the fifth grade or the sixth. It would be around 1977. We were chosen to hold up traffic while the one or two kids from our streets crossed the road. LOADS of responsibility. I got to leave school five minutes before everybody else. And if I have to be honest, I usually went home instead of waiting for Randy, Rachel and Dave to help them cross the road! So when I saw this photo, I had to laugh, and not just because I was wearing those super-hip jeans with the vegetables on them!




Hey, Messy Missy, if you're reading this, I am having trouble leaving a comment on your blog and am wondering if others are having the same problem. If you've never been to Missy's blog, add her to your list. She's very funny! Today's post is a give away for a beautiful herb book.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could not comment on Missy's blog either and she has no contact info. (A blogger no-no!)
So I added you to my blogroll and not her!
OK, so I added you because I enjoy your blog.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Dying for those pants my friend!!! I am visiting you from Keetha's blog...well I would visit you anyway as you are one of my favorites!! But you know that. I can't wait to hear more about Hazel!

Keetha Broyles said...

I remember this!!! At our school it was called "safety patrol" and I did it for a short while too!

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh, and I forgot to say this:

"A Boy Named Sue" and a rooster named Hazel!!!! That story was cute!

BadPenny said...

the amazing adventures od Hazel the roaming Rooster...

You need sunglasses on to look at those jeans !

Maggie said...

At this rate Hazel could have his own blog.Looking forward to hearing more about his exploits.
Those pants are amazing even for back then!!
~Maggie~

Little Messy Missy said...

Oh boy, sorry I will see whats going on!Thanks for the heads up!

Barbara said...

Love the pants! The curse of growing up in the 70s - we had such lovely clothing!

Hope your rooster is happy in his new stomping grounds...

__
Barbara
http://ifididnthaveasenseofhumor.blogspot.com

j said...

I'm here by way of Keetha.

I cracked up over Hazel the Rooster and the Safety patrol picture. How fun!

Hope you have had a nice weekend.

Unknown said...

I cant wait to hear if the chicken crosses the road or not! I love the pants too......melinda

Kim Sue said...

I love 70's photos. My family didn't take many photos when we were growing up {probably about $$} but the few there are all make me smile....love those pants!

Anonymous said...

Those pants really do show off your style! Good thing "What Not To Wear" wasn't around in '77. Back then I was already 25 years old, and I'm sure my get-ups were just as stylish as yours!

rachel red lips said...

hahhaha! that photo is darling and hilarious!