Chickens in the Basement

I love to write and I love to laugh. When I write, I get to the point quick. My stories would fit on the back of a postcard. They usually make me chuckle. And you know what they say, "It's all about me!"

Monday, March 15, 2010

Drawing Conclusions...

Today, I learned two things I didn't already know. I found them funny and a little disturbing!


The chickens were grazing in the backyard. Off in the distance, I could hear helicopters heading our way. The chickens froze. As the helicopters got closer, the chickens were doing the "oh shit! oh shit!" run for cover. By the time the whirlybirds were overhead, the chickens were safely tucked under some dense shrubs. The best I can figure...they thought those helicopters were gigantic hawks (maybe they were black hawks. I don't know my choppers) preparing to swoop in for the kill.

Conclusion...Chickens are scared of helicopters!


Later, just before dark, I heard sirens coming down our road. Upstairs, my smart-ass son hollered, "Are they coming here?" Knowing dinner had been cooked, eaten and cleaned up, I knew I hadn't overlooked anything flammable. I stepped outside to see where the firetruck was headed. To my horror, Neighbor Terri had come outside, too, and was looking over the fence to make sure flames weren't shooting from our roof. I assured her we were safe and walked to the end of the driveway to make sure I hadn't left the stove on at a neighbor's house!




Conclusion...I am responsible for all sirens that come through our neighborhood.


Go ahead! Laugh! I can take it!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny! Chickens and helicopters and firetrucks, oh my! BTW, that red hen is still around. My son-in-law saw it yesterday and threw on the brakes to take a look. I am determined to get a photo....or at the very least, an egg!

Liz

Barbara said...

Oh how weird...we think alike...all sirens are for me too. I would have come to the same conclusion about the helicopters and chickens - only I was thinking vultures!!

Barbara

Little Messy Missy said...

Hahahaha! Speaking of chicken hawks are they a problem in your neighborhood? I had a problem with last fall i guess I will have to wait and see what springs brings.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Of course you are responsible for all that goes on in your neighborhood! Goes without saying...funny lady. Poor chickens...black hawks indeed!

Anonymous said...

I guess they don't call them whirly birds for nothing! Take cover...the sky is falling, the sky is falling! I will have to tell you the story of the time a group of us (all April birthdays) dressed up as different chickens. It was so much fun! I was chicken ala queen!

LemonyRenee' said...

Nothing like neighbors and kids -- they never let you live anything down.

Keetha Broyles said...

I'd be hiding under bushes too - - - smart chickens.

linda said...

I can't i can't! Laughing too hard!

linda said...

I can't i can't!
Laughing too hard!