Chickens in the Basement

I love to write and I love to laugh. When I write, I get to the point quick. My stories would fit on the back of a postcard. They usually make me chuckle. And you know what they say, "It's all about me!"

Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Things We Do for Our Children

Will is in his high school's marching band. In order to pay for all of the trips they take during the season, it costs almost $800 per year. Since the recession has hit us so hard, I have been volunteering at one of the food booths at the RBC Center during Carolina Hurricane Hockey games. We earn anywhere between 30 and 60 dollars a night for our efforts. The money goes into Will's account. Hopefully, there will be enough money in his account by the time it is due that we won't have to write a check for any of it. (Keep your fingers crossed for us!)




Last night, we arrived at the booth an hour before the doors opened for $1 hot dog night. They are usually $3.50 each, so $1 is a big deal! Once all of our routine work was done, the volunteers helped the kitchen folks wrap hot dogs.

Usually, we have bursts of busy-ness between periods, but with Dollar Dog Night, we never got a break! Between orders for 5 to 10 hot dogs, we also passed out nachos and cheese, popcorn, M&M's and cotton candy. Of course, $8 cups of beer and $4 bottles of Pepsi get tossed into most orders, too.



After the third period started and our doors closed down, I looked at my co-worker/volunteers and saw the exhaustion and thrill in their eyes. We hadn't slowed down enough all night to look at each other. Instead, we bumped butts, yelled orders, and slung hot dogs throughout the night! We won't know how much we earned for another week or so, but it felt like a good night!



The only other fundraiser that earns money for Will's account is the selling of oranges in October and November. Come Fall, if you live nearby, be expecting a call from my boy! It's time for him to do a little huffing and puffing to earn himself some money! It's a good thing I love that boy!
Unfortunately, the Hurricanes didn't win! Looks like the play-offs are not in our future!

8 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

So we should crown you 'hotdog' queen!!!! Yes, what we do for our kids! Wish I lived nearer I would order some of that fruit!

Anonymous said...

Your blog title really caught my eye today! The things we do for our children...whew. I opened my doors after ten years of an empty nest, and not one but four little chickens came back home to roost. (My daughter, her hubby and their two babies.) It's been quite a year, and I have been blessed by every day. You're a good mom indeed....working so hard for his dream. Blessings...

Liz

Little Messy Missy said...

I know the feeling. I have one who is a scout and on the track team and my other is on the tennis team and was just asked to prom. Money, money, money.... I mailed something to you yesterday...I loved the fabric! ;0)

Barbara said...

Sounds like a bake sale is in order! Maybe there's a way we can do something to help fill your coffers. Give me a day or two to think about it - we have to get your kid to the places he needs to go!!

Stacey said...

Sweet Anna- Thanks so much for your encouraging words; I am thrilled beyond compare about this new adventure. But unfortunately, this means I won't be able to make the trip in May to Birmingham. But I'll be with you guys in spirit! And do some thrifting for me:)
As for this post, what a sweet thing to do for your son. I hope you guys make tons of moola for the boys. And I'll send some money for oranges come fall- Just eat them for me:)

Vintage Christine said...

BooBoo says that you should do a raffle for one of the chickens and that he would buy 1,000 tickets. He's just trying to help out the kid, you see . . .

Security word: CHABOWN. Good, doggie--now here's cha bown.

Chicken Boys said...

I suppose prostitution is out of the question? LOL Just kidding. My mom would never have done all that for me. I had to do it all my self. But I went to South America and Africa both while I was in college, all on just a work study job! That and selling Avon, and writing letters and asking for sponsors. I wish Will the best of luck!
~Randy

Legacy of Love said...

What a sweet thing you are doing for your boy, putting all that money in his fund! I hope you are able to raise enough for him to go.

Thanks for checking out my swap o/n case. I do get to keep it...yahoo!

Have a great evening!