Chickens in the Basement

I love to write and I love to laugh. When I write, I get to the point quick. My stories would fit on the back of a postcard. They usually make me chuckle. And you know what they say, "It's all about me!"

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pecking Order

Okay, I need to have my camera surgically implanted. Last night, I headed out to see if the chickens were in the hen house. I was carrying Cora Bell because I found her sitting in the sink in the garage (the first thing I needed my camera for). As we rounded the side of the house, I saw Riley Dog doing the butt clenched, "oh shit! oh shit! oh shit!" run across the back yard. He had his head turned to the side in an effort to watch behind him and in front of him. Running a couple of paces behind Riley Dog was Skippy. He was on a mission to peck some Riley Dog ass! (For this, I needed the video feature on my camera!)
~~~
When I busted out laughing, both snapped out of it. Riley Dog hid behind me and returned to his cool, nonchalant self, and Skippy wandered back to the group of girls.
~~~
When I got closer to the hen house, I discovered what the chase was all about. Riley Dog had found an egg and chowed down. The shells were left, but he wasn't through licking. The chickens wanted to eat the shells (I don't know why, but they do this after an egg hatches or if one cracks.) Riley Dog thought about bullying his way back into the crowd of chickens for the egg shells, but Shakira popped him on the nose, grabbed the egg shells and ran into the woods. (Number three missed photo op!)
~~~
I just stood in the back yard and laughed while tears ran down my cheeks. I do love my feathered and furry friends!

16 comments:

Queenie Jeannie said...

Oh man!!! We all missed out on some funny videos it sounds like!! What fun you have all the time, lol!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Oh man!!! We all missed out on some funny videos it sounds like!! What fun you have all the time, lol!

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Ha!

Oh those missed photo ops!

Little Messy Missy said...

Chickens love the shells for the calcium. I see our chickens picking through our compost for their shells, and sometimes I even buy crushed shell from the farm store to give it to them as a treat. If you ever go to a beach bring the ladies back a bucket full of sand and shells, they will love you forever! And yes you do need a camera fixed to your body somehow, those would have been great pictures!

Jenny said...

hahaha! Poor Riley...now I am going to have to research and see why they would eat the shells...I am weird like that.

Chicken Boys said...

The stuff in the shell makes their eggs hard. It can be used to replace oyster shell, but it is recommeded that you bake them first to make them brittle. Otherwise, they may start to peck and eat the "good" eggs. That's from my research. I know all about that camera thing! I hate seeing things that I can't share cause I didn't have my camera!
~Randy

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love this and photos and videos would have been wonderful, but your descriptions are pretty good.

BadPenny said...

I'm laughing too & I didn't even se it ! x

Anonymous said...

Photo ops always catch me by surprise, too! What youy need are security cameras all around the yard. Then you could just upload what they catch your animals doing. My problem is that I try to drive and take pictures at the same time. How would I explain that to a cop? Hmmm...

Vintage Christine said...

Bump bump bump OUCH (head hit roof( hard to typ on damn road.not driving. Ouch. Put camra arond neck before go out. Ouchh

Cat said...

Murphy's Law, the camera will be the most far away from the best pictures... Least that's the way it works for me.

Cat.

Anonymous said...

You crack me up! Or is the chickens that crack me up...whatever...it is just funny! Too bad you did not capture the Kodack moment. You will have to start wearing the camera around your neck!

Stacey said...

Your stories are just too cute! I was reading some of your recent posts and saw you are working on your resume- Isn't that the most awful chore? I've always hated doing that. I'll be keeping your job hunt in my prayers- And don't get discouraged! You'll find just the perfect thing:)

Mermaids of the Lake said...

You lucky girl! What a great life you have with your feathered and furry friends. Keep that camera close! Wear it around your neck! I would have loved those pics! Keep laughing!

Mermaid Debbie

Anonymous said...

I think you need a yard cam. Too many fun and exciting (and interesting) things going on for one camera to catch.

Yarni Gras! said...

that is HYSTERICAL! BTW, birds eat the eggshells for the calcium...it makes eggshells strong!