Chickens in the Basement

I love to write and I love to laugh. When I write, I get to the point quick. My stories would fit on the back of a postcard. They usually make me chuckle. And you know what they say, "It's all about me!"

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Easter Past

When I was little, we spent all holidays at Granny's big house in Scotland Neck, NC. My cousin, Trey, would always be there, too. Easter was one of the best!

Brother Dave, Trey, and me
On Easter morning, we would get up early and wake up all the grown-ups. They would torture us by moving slowly and making us stay upstairs until everybody was ready to run down the stairs to see what the Easter bunny had brought us.

No dead rabbits here!
The Saturday before Easter was spent at Sister's house with all of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd cousins for an Easter Egg Hunt. When I was about 2, I didn't find a huge pile of eggs, but I did find a dead rabbit. I wigged out all the women when I drug the poor dead thing from the field.


My basket is looking awfully empty!

Somewhere, there is a video of Cousin Trey watching one of the grown-ups pointing out an egg to one of the little kids. She swooped in and snatched it out from under his slow-poking nose! When it came to egg hunts, we were ready to wrestle...especially if chocolate was involved!

13 comments:

jamie@midcenturymania said...

Dead bunnies everywhere I look! I love that first photo. So cute. I love your little Easter outfits. I remember when white gloves on Easter was a must. By the end of the day they would be smeared with chocolate.

Adoption of Jane said...

Great pics!

Amber Von Felts said...

Wow, what is it with dead rabbits this year? LOL! I may have to post some vintage easter pics myself y'all are having so much fun!

Little Messy Missy said...

Dead bunnies, oh my!

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

awwww how very sweet!!

I think my folks had had enough kid stuff by the time I came along, so I never got to hunt for Easter eggs... I live vicariously through you this time!

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Love this post...boy did it bring back some happy Easter memories for me. Thanks for sharing these
Maggie

Mary said...

Anna, catching up a usual. Had no idea you've been working at the RBC, what a good mommy you are.

Vanessa and I will be at the shop Thurs. morning - perhaps we'll see you? That would be nice.

Hugs - Mary

LemonyRenee' said...

Fun memories, Anna. I never did an egg hunt when I was a child, but I sure love putting them on for my kids.

I think my son would accuse us of moving torturously slowly . . . we're not mean, just old. ;)

Barbara said...

Man, I guess my parents and grandparents too were tired of children by the time I came along. On Easter, you got a basket by your bed. Period. Once in a while I got a new dress, depending on if mom saw one she thought was cute and could afford it.

I feel so...jipped!

Dead bunnies...I sense a theme on blogger...

Chicken Boys said...

Scotland Neck? There's nothing there! That's on one of our driver's routes from here in Greenville, incidentally. I have some fond Easter memories, too. Have a good one, by the way.
~Randy

Stacey said...

I loved Easter Baskets... My favorite candy was (and is) the Reese's peanut butter eggs = Ive been good and only had one this year. But Easter isn't over yet:)

Anonymous said...

I know all about Scotland Neck. I am originally from Murfreesboro! What great photos! We would hunt eggs until all the color would come off...back before they had individually wrapped eggs!

Anonymous said...

I know where Scotland Neck is! I grew up in Murfreesboro not too far away! We use to stop at the Idol Hour Restaurant.