Chickens in the Basement

I love to write and I love to laugh. When I write, I get to the point quick. My stories would fit on the back of a postcard. They usually make me chuckle. And you know what they say, "It's all about me!"

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Look What I Heard

Yesterday, I got my hearing aides! It's funny the things I didn't know I wasn't hearing! The first thing I had to do when I left the doctor's office was TURN DOWN THE RADIO IN MY CAR! Oh my gosh, it was loud! The second thing I noticed was the engine of my car. I could tell my car was running. There have been times that I have tried to turn my car on, only to discover it was already on! Not a good noise without hearing aides...hopefully I won't hear it any more.


So, what other sounds was I missing?


Water running in a pot...


Water boiling...



Snack paper rattling...


Cora Bell pecking dog food out of my hand...



Leaves crunching under my feet...



Riley Dog's charms clanking...


The train went by SuzAnna's Antiques today while I was chatting with Pretty Sam. The conductor doesn't believe he is doing his job unless the horn on the train drowns out all other sounds for at least 45 seconds! If you're on the phone, you just have to tell folks to hold on until the Horny Conductor eases on down the road! I thought I was going to have to remove the hearing aides from my ears! YIKES!!






The funniest think I heard was Riley Dog being a Bad Dog! I heard rustling. I went through my mental list of what was on the counter. I had put the breakfast dishes in the washer. I went in the kitchen to check. With the pantry door open, he had found his box of treats, opened it up, and helped himself!



Renee, was it you who asked about the pink thing behind one of the hat photos last week? Here he is in all of his glory. The Pink Pig of SuzAnna's Antiques. Rumor has it that Piggy could be sporting a new paint job soon. Will he become a lady bug? A turtle? A yellow submarine? A cow? Stay tuned!

21 comments:

LemonyRenee' said...

Oh, Anna, I'm so happy for you! You must feel like the world is new again. I can't imagine not hearing all the things you listed. Well, welcome back! But go easy on poor Riley dog . . . he's going to need some time to adjust to being BUSTED!

I LOVE that pig tank! Now that's funny! I can't wait to see what they do with it next. Keep me posted, and thanks!

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Ahhhh while reading your post I started to notice the sounds around me and what I could hear.

The gurgle of the computer, the snooze of my cat on the bed, the jet flying overhead...

So glad you can enjoy these things again! Yea!

Keetha Broyles said...

I'm new to your blog, so I didn't realize you needed hearing aids. BUT, girl - - - what a GREAT post you made about it!!!! Those are all GREAT new things to hear!

The pink pig is hysterical.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Yeah for you Anna!! I think when your hearing starts to go its gradual and you don't realize what you can't hear. So glad you are hearing all sorts of everyday sounds...esp the doggie stealing biscuits! My cat likes to chew through the bag so I have to put it inside a plastic canister.

Courtney Short said...

I remember a family member (she's quite funnY) telling me she heard herself pee for the first time in a long time LOL.. My dad seriously needs them but doesn't want to look old - he doesn't realize it doesn't look any better with us having to shout in his ear :-0

Jenny said...

LOVE IT! What a wonderful post! Hope I wasn't too loud this morning! hehehe!

Anne Lorys said...

How wonderful! Congrats on regaining one of your MOST important senses. :-)

Have a wonderful Wednesday,
Anne

Barbara said...

Okay, if they helped you that much, I'm gonna have to save up for them. I can only imagine what I'm missing, if you're hearing the dog steal stuff.

I'm very jealous. Wait, I have an idea. You use one and send me one. Yeah, that's the ticket! Maybe then I can hear myself pee too!
___
Barbara
http://ifididnthaveasenseofhumor.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow...just think about all that you're going to hear now! Birds chirping on the fence post, thunder in the distance, the click of a lock on the door, a sigh, a fart...life is good! So happy for you!

Liz

Amber Von Felts said...

SWEET! I live right next to the train tracks, I have gotten so used to them over the years. New folks will be over and when a train passes by they are amazed at how close we are. I barely notice them unless its an oil tanker train, then everything shakes!

I'm so glad you can hear better now! Yay modern science!

Also, I remember those oil tanks from back east..."cows" were very popular, watermelons too--first time I've seen a pig though! Great post!

Hope said...

congrats my friend! With those new fancy schmancy hearing aides, I bet you can you hear me shouting that all the way from England!

BadPenny said...

bad dog !
When the little boy next door had his gromits put in to drain his ears he told his mummy he could hear the birds sing. She cried.

Maggie said...

Didn't realise you were having hearing aids fitted, what a difference they'll make. You won't be able to ignore the phone so easily now!
~Maggie~

Vintage Christine said...

Good lord, I just got around to reading your post and I had to stand in a freakin' LINE to write a comment! Girlfriend, you was DEAF. My dad was nearly stone deaf for years before he did anything about it and we girls thought it was hilarious to stand behind his chair and say things about him that he couldn't hear. Until my mom DID hear us, told him what we were doing, and we all got a spanking. Pretty Sam sure is a honey bunny!

Chicken Boys said...

Was that an oatmeal creme pie? Yum! Hmmm....maybe the hearing aides wasn't a great idea. Oh, wait! You can take them out! Good for you. What's that you say?
~Randy

Rose H (UK) said...

What a lovely post! I'm glad that you can hear the world around you again. (My Sister in law needs hearing aids too - it's difficult to understand unless you know someone who is affected how debilitating loss of hearing can be.)

Mary said...

You mean you missed all those beefy construction guys' whistles when you walked by?????

Congrats. on returning to this often much too noisy world Anna - at least you can turn 'em off when you want to, whereas I need to stuff cotton in mine at times and that feels weird!!!

Anonymous said...

I so need to talk to you about those hearing aids. I know I need them...my kids tell me I need them...my husband tells me I need them. I see the volume on the tv going to higher numbers all the time. Congrats on taking the step. Where did you go to get them? Email me!
So what are you working on in your sewing room?

Little Messy Missy said...

Glad you can hear!!! That pig is so cute!

Queenie Jeannie said...

So glad you can hear again!!! I'll bet it really has been amazing!

Yarni Gras! said...

how wonderful! The only time I really thought about my hearing was after my daughter had ear surgery at 18 months. She was in wonder at all the noises...and made me truly appreciate them myself!

since I know you are a WV watcher...today my word is gedaggs....sort of like egadds inside out, huh!