Chickens in the Basement

I love to write and I love to laugh. When I write, I get to the point quick. My stories would fit on the back of a postcard. They usually make me chuckle. And you know what they say, "It's all about me!"

Friday, January 22, 2010

Love/Hate Relationship

My house is lighter by about 6 big items thanks to craigslist.com. I love that I can post for free, edit items as needed, and get rid of things I once had great plans for but either outgrew the plans, never got around to it, or couldn't remember what the hell I was thinking!



Peek-a-boo Riley Dog

This beautiful buffet belonged to my cousin. It used to have a pub table and four chairs accompanying it. Someone wanted the table and chairs but not the buffet. Go figure! I listed it several times and kept dropping the price. Finally, a cute young couple came by, measured, opened and closed everything about 10 times, kicked the tires some more, and finally loaded her up and took her home. They were very excited about their purchase! I know it is in a good home where she is appreciated and not just sitting in my basement!


What the fragglerock is that?


This recored cabinet took a couple of listing on craigslist before it sold. I bought it with plans of using it to store crafting supplies. It just didn't work out! A young guy and his mom drove for over an hour to get this. Yep, he got a discount. Bonus...I'm thrilled to have quite a bit more space in my basement workshop! Woohoo times two!

Why did I buy these?

These chairs came out of Reynold's Coliseum at NC State University. These babies were pulled out for concerts and graduation. I bought 3 sets of these guys about 8 years ago. I sold one immediately and got all excited. Then, nothing. Crickets! You hear them? I was thrilled when a guy called and wanted the last two sets. I loaded them in my truck and headed to Sam's parking lot to meet him. While I was waiting, I witnessed three other exchanges take place. I think one was a rendezvous of sorts...lots of kissing then each to his or her own car. When the guy showed up, I was glad he only wanted the chairs. I quickly traded the seats from my truck to his and the money from his wallet to mine! Asta la vista, babies!

Dust and spider webs are free?

When my boys were younger, they brought home so much artwork every week, there was no way I could fit it all on my fridge. Tony built these wonderful dry erase boards with a magnetic background. They held loads of projects and beautiful art work and stickers. Alas, boys grow up and would rather have skateboarding posters on the wall. The wall boards came down and have been sitting in the garage for 3 years. I was so desperated for them to go away, I agreed to a discount and a delivery!

I can be yours!

I picked this little beauty up at an auction for $8. I would love to paint it red and put a faux cow hide cover over her stripes. However, my style doesn't always work for other folks. I've had the gossip bench listed for a while with no takers. Since I have nowhere for her to go in my house, I think I'll take her to the basement, paint her an ivory color and put some of my floral fabric over the stripes and re-list it. Of course, the price just went up!

15 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Don't ya just love Craig's list! I love the little gossip chair....cream with pink fabric, now where did you say this would be???
it's calling my name....

gin said...

Wow, what a way to go!! I might have to try Craigslist.... (for selling that is, I don't need to buy anything else just because I think I want, need, or might use it one day!)

LemonyRenee' said...

Man oh man, why don't we live closer??? I LOVE all of those things! That buffet is tdf!

Had to LOL about the meeting about the chairs. I remember one time when I took my kids to a playground, not a very widely used one. I parked in the lot where only two other cars were parked. There was a lovey-dovey couple over on the one bench. When they left, there was quite a dramatic kiss goodbye and then they got in separate cars -- Booooo! I felt like running after them yelling, "I'm gonna telllllll!" Terrible.

One Gal's Trash said...

Wonderful stuff! Just think of the good junk karma you are going to have for passing along such treasures. I think the idea of red/cow hide for the gossip chair is brilliant. Are you absolutely sure you want to give it up?
xo
Pam

Vintage Christine said...

I would have taken all of those things except for the stadium chairs (sorry). I'm going to an auction tonight and hopefully can score some inexpensive furniture to resell. Wish you could come with me--I'm traveling for THREE HOURS for this one so you can certainly travel ONE hour. If I had an auction just an hour away I'd be a total regular!

red.neck chic said...

LOL Don't you love loosing weight? My favorite diet is Craigslist... of course, I gain some, I loose some, I gain some... vicious cycle for sure. LOLOL

Have I said that I absolutely love it when you come to visit me? You TOTALLY leave me laughing hysterically each and every time you nudist you! LOLOLOL

:-) have a fantastic friday!!!
robelyn

Mick said...

I WANT THAT TELEPHONE TABLE!!!! but shipping would kill me and I cant make the trip :( Alas there will be others I totally would ahve bought the record holder from you too! I have so many records its nto funny haha!

*Ulrike* said...

The gossip chair is too cute! I think I'm running out of room though since my aunt wants for me to get rid of some things for her too. I'll have to give Craig's list a try sometime.

Stacey said...

Sounds like you're really doing some spring cleaning! How great that you'll have more space in your crafty room... And I can't wait to use "fraggle rock" in a sentence!

Amanda Lee said...

enjoyed your post--loved the buffet! also enjoyed reading about your "chicken". I adopted a chick on a visit to my grandparent's house as a girl. We thought he was going to die because his legs splayed out into the splits when he would try to stand! Finally we put a loose rubber band around his legs, and that kept his legs underneath him so he could learn to walk. We named him Jake (he came when called), and he grew into a fine rooster and was a constant companion to my grandfather as he went about his farm chores!

Anne Lorys said...

You've got some COOL stuff!
I would totally take some of it off your hands if we lived anywhere close.

Sounds like Craigslist is helping you expand your circle of friends too, as evidenced by your comment on my blog. ;-)

Have a GREAT weekend!
Anne

Anonymous said...

Sold lots of stuff on craiglist when we moved from Michigan to Iowa. My hubby was already in Iowa working and the items were too big to pack up and meet buyers ... so they came to my home. Bad idea. Just me and my four youngins to defend ourselves. One guy called me in the middle of the night after our transaction. "Thank you. You're nice. Watch your back in Iowa." Hmmm. Think he was drunk. Another turned out to be a drug dealin check bouncer. I know. Cash only. Good news? My brother-in-law is a cop and got my money out of him. The guy didn't want to go back to jail.

Anonymous said...

Sold lots of stuff on craiglist when we moved from Michigan to Iowa. My hubby was already in Iowa working and the items were too big to pack up and meet buyers ... so they came to my home. Bad idea. Just me and my four youngins to defend ourselves. One guy called me in the middle of the night after our transaction. "Thank you. You're nice. Watch your back in Iowa." Hmmm. Think he was drunk. Another turned out to be a drug dealin check bouncer. I know. Cash only. Good news? My brother-in-law is a cop and got my money out of him. The guy didn't want to go back to jail.

The Queen of Clearance said...

I looove the chair with the green stripes! if you lived near me I would grab that up instantly! i think you have some great items there and dont know how you parted with them :)

Queenie Jeannie said...

Gosh I wish you lived closer!! I so want that gossip bench!!!!!!