Chickens in the Basement

I love to write and I love to laugh. When I write, I get to the point quick. My stories would fit on the back of a postcard. They usually make me chuckle. And you know what they say, "It's all about me!"

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Quick Funny

This morning, Terri and I decided to put on all of the clothes we could still fit in and get our walk off the list. Since I'm a stomach sleeper, and I feel like I'm sleeping in a back-bend, I knew I needed to get my butt moving!


I put on my sweats, my thickest socks, a t-shirt, a sweat shirt, my fleece bathrobe (because it's warmer than any coat I own), and wrapped my scarf around my ears, neck and head. NOTE: The temperature was 23 degrees! I unhooked Riley Dog's shocker collar and we were off. Since we walk on a one lane dead end road, we often let the dogs run off their energy, sans leash.

Ahead of us, we could see a small body in the road. The dogs saw it, too. They took off! Since we were so rugged up (think the little brother in the Christmas Story movie who was wrapped so tight, he couldn't put his arms down),
the dogs were way faster than we could waddle, they got there first. Zoe Dog happily scooped up the body of the frozen squirrel and brought the stiff thing over to show us. The tail didn't even sag!

Thanks Google Images!



Terri and I had one of those grossed out laughing fits. Zoe Dog dropped the squirrel and Terri gently kicked it into the woods. Our walk resumed.

Well, don't go thinking that Riley, Zoe and Bear have a very short memory. As we passed the kicked squirrel on the return of the first lap, Zoe, retrieved (hence, Golden Retriever) the still frozen, kicked into the woods squirrel. Again, she dropped it.

On the second lap, Riley Dog had to get into the squirrel action. He nearly touched it with his nose, mouth open, when I screamed, "I kiss your face....DON'T TOUCH THAT SQUIRREL!" Begrudgingly he obeyed.

More walking! At the end of the second lap, the puppies just looked longingly, but were too tired to touch! Where's a turkey buzzard when you need one?

5 comments:

Queenie Jeannie said...

Happy Birthday to your husband!! All I can say is that great minds think alike and he must be darned special!!!!

As for cold, it is STINKIN, NO KIDDING COLD down here too! Only 18* with wind chill!!! In Georgia!! So way not fair!!!!

Hope said...

poor squirrel! but, that made me giggle...and the mental image of you in your bathrobe made me giggle even harder!

LemonyRenee' said...

LOL! And UCK! And AWW!

Chicken Boys said...

Brrrr....right?!
~Randy

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Ha! Squirrelsickle lol..